The John Dickinson Writings Project (JDP) is seeking an experienced manuscript transcriber for part-time work as an independent contractor. The duration of the job is uncertain, depending on speed of the transcriber and funding, but the director anticipates the work will continue for a year. The ideal candidate will have the following experience and skills:
- Experience transcribing for a documentary editing project
- Experience with 18th century paleography, grammar, and vocabulary
- Good basic knowledge of the history of the American Founding and Early Republic eras
- Meticulous attention to visual detail and the principles of documentary editing
- Skilled in the latest version of Microsoft Word
- Knowledge of Latin
- Knowledge of (or willingness to learn) early modern English legal terminology and abbreviations
- Someone who thrives on challenging work
The successful candidate will work remotely on his/her own computer from digital images downloaded from the JDP server and transcribe into Word documents. The pay is per Word document page and is commensurate with experience and ability. The candidate may set her/his own hours, but the JDP will require a minimum weekly or monthly time commitment to be negotiated.
Please send PDFs of a cover letter, a CV, and the names and contact information of three references to:
Dr. Jane E. Calvert
Director/Editor, The John Dickinson Writings Project
Screening of candidates will begin immediately and will consist of, in addition to the materials requested above, a sample transcription of representative material. Work will begin as soon as possible after hire.
For information on the JDP, please visit the project information site: http://www.uky.edu/DickinsonWritingsProject/